Monday, June 18, 2012

The Dirty Dozen: don't eat your heart out!

What is the dirty dozen? A movie right? Yep! But it's also a list of vastly useful information for those who are dipping their toes into the foray of organic eating. The dirty dozen is a list that is compiled yearly, that ranks fruits and vegetables by the levels of pesticides present after testing is done. This current list was put out in 2011, a study done by the The Environmental Working Group.

How I personally use this list:
I'm not wealthy and we're trying to feed a family of six people. We aren't really tight with our budget groceries these days are adding up, FAST! Ideally, we'd buy everything organic, down to the Amy's Organic brand macaroni and cheese! But that's not realistic, at least not for us at this time. But eating organic is important. Yes, the USDA runs their own tests and ensures that the levels of pesticides currently being used aren't "harmful" in anyway for human consumption and with proper washing, it's all good. But I'm not exactly..buying it.

So with a limited budget in mind, I try to seek out the DIRTY DOZEN in organic form only, since these are the reported filthiest. I also seek out organic milk, but I'll write more about that at a later date.

So, what currently makes up the "Dirty dozen" List? As of 2011 testing, it is as follows:

  • celery
  • peaches
  • strawberries
  • apples
  • domestic blueberries
  • nectarines
  • sweet bell peppers
  • spinach, kale and collard greens
  • cherries
  • potatoes
  • imported grapes
  • lettuce

  • Okay, take a look here and think about these items. Notice anything in particular? One...they are all mostly thin skinned products, soft products and difficult to wash and scrub. This makes sense, since in theory you can wash away the residual pesticide reside with a good scrubbing on most fruits and vegetables. (Theoretically....)
    So this list is an excellent way to start. I find it hard to find a lot of these things here in local rural America. In fact, the produce sections of our local stores are rather sad in general. I make a trip over to a major college town  not to far from me and make my purchases from there. But, I've also recently joined a community supported agriculture co-op. I'll tell you more about that later, but it affords me a nice variety of local fruits and veggies all certified organic, fresh from the farm.

    So think it over, what can you afford? If your budget is limited, like mine..weight the risks vs. benefits of adding these items in, organically and scrubbing away at the rest.

    3 comments:

    1. Thanks for sharing this list, Jen. I'd heard of this list before, but I never explored it. We buy celery regularly, so I think I will start there by looking for an organic source for that.
      I do feel better about the produce that we buy at the farmer's market as opposed to what is stocked in the grocery store.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Sounds sensible, overall. I do use grapes as part of my diet for various reasons and organically grown ones aren't available within an hour's drive...just yet. I keep holding out for a local Whole Foods...

      ReplyDelete