Saturday, June 30, 2012

Tooth powder experiments

I'm trying to move everything over to "natural". What goes on and in my body, cleanse my clothes and house and feeds my soul. But the idea of homemade toothpaste....had me skeptical!

What's wrong with commercial toothpaste anyway? It's safe stuff. The ADA and 4 out of 5 dentists say so anyway, and we all know they're always right!

Well, turns out maybe not always:


  • Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) - industrial detergent may cause canker sore, dry mouth and allergies
  • Sodium hydroxide - NaOH, also known as lye or caustic soda, is a metallic base, used in textiles, drain cleaners and industrial detergents.
  • Salicylates - allergic reactions to products are becoming very common. Salicylic acid, the common Aspirin ingredient for inflammation, could be one of the causes. Always look for salicylate free products.

     
  • PEG/PPG - polypropylene glycol is a surfactant used as a wetting agent, dispersant and in leather finishing.

  • Oh boy! Sounds like fun right? Yeah....right.
    So since I'm into making my own homemade goodies lately, I decided to give tooth paste (or rather tooth powder) a go. Here is the recipe I'm currently using:


  • 2/3 cup baking soda
  • 4 tsp fine sea salt (optional – gives paste extra scrubbing power, but is okay to leave out if the taste is too salty, I definately left it out! )
  • 1 – 2 tsp peppermint extract or 10-15 drops peppermint essential oil (or add your favorite flavor – spearmint, orange, etc.)
  • water (add to desired consistency)
  • (Recipe from: http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-toothpaste-recipe-easy-and-frugal/)

    So far this has been working really well! However, after I started oil pulling...I'm thinking of adding some coconut oil to some of this to make a "paste". I've also seen other versions of the above recipe that add xylitol for flavor and added scrubbiness. You might want to grind your xylitol down to a finer powder, the stuff I have in my cupboard is pretty coarse!

    My teeth are in a sorry state really, stained and full of fillings. I spent nearly 15 years locked in a BAD depression and let my body go. I'll admit it where...there were months I didn't brush at all. WHen I finally did see a hygeinist she got teary eyed when I told her why, and told me I was killing myself. I knew that at heart....but when you're in that state of depression you can't work up enough energy to try to change.

    Well, I'm fighting now! Fighting to take care of ME, completely. I still let stuff go that  might make most women cringe (I don't wear make up and don't shave my armpitts or legs...but that's for a whole different reason! Lesbian Rebellion?) But I am moisterizing, washing, buffing and polishing and trying to take some pride in my body. I'm trying to excercise and focus on healthy foods only. It's a journey that I'm 16 years behind on, but I will get there, on tooth scrub at a time!

    Let me know your thoughts! Let's dish about toothpaste/powders, depression and self care, hairy lesbian women? I'm game!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment