Tuesday, October 23, 2012

But...why not beans??!!

Beans are one of those foods that FEEL and look hearty and wholesome to eat. One of my favorite cook book authors once said "people who live close to the earth depend on beans...." and this is true. Beans offer a rich source of proteins and minerals, fiber and carbohydrates. They are easy to keep, store for huge amounts of time when properly dried and they are relatively easy to cook. They are cheap, readily available and filling.
So when I started down the path of the Paleo diet I was surprised and a little bit...shall I say..MIFFED that beans were on the NO NO VERY NAUGHTY list. Beans? Really? They are good for your heart after all and the more you eat the more you....

Okay, never mind.

So why no beans? Why exclude this pretty little packet of nutrients from our diets? What is the reasoning? I did some digging and I'm still trying to come to an understanding with this elimination.

The first reason: Beans have to be processed before you can eat them. I guess that this means green beans, which you can eat in their raw form, are okay? Dried beans though, you definitely can't eat them raw, in fact doing so would involve a great deal of distress to your system. Hmmm..okay...I can see that. The paleo diet is meant to closely mimic our hunter/gatherer ancestors and to walk around trying to munch on some hard beans while on the hunt for boar would not fit into that lifestyle.

So why else? This is according to livingpaleo.com: Legumes also have similar traits to grains in their make-up; they contain phytates which inhibit nutrient absorption and cause inflammation. They also contain lectins and play with healthy hormonal functions.

Part of the rational for the paleo diet is to restore proper levels of blood sugars and hormones, something that modern diets have thrown WAY out of whack. I understand this on a health care worker level as I've seen the absolute pandemonium a plate of beans and rice can play upon a diabetics body, even when appropriately portioned. Maintaining blood sugar balance is a game of balance and beans, while full of fiber, are also full of starchy carbs. Soy beans for certain have issues with hormone disruption as they can mimic estrogen.

All of this is good stuff but by far the best article on the topic of beans is here: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/the-legume-manifesto/

Look it over and...decide what you think! I adore a big pot of pintos beans made from soaked beans cooked low and slow with a bit of ham. I don't know if I'm ready to completely exclude it...YET but the thought is an interesting one, especially as I move on in my weight loss journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment