Sunday, October 28, 2012

Liquid Castille soap: You are the love of my life!

We humans are pretty crafty beings, aren't we? Why use what works and has worked fairly well for centuries when we can make NEW and "better" items using massive amounts of chemicals and toxins to cleanse ourselves with, all in the quest for bouncing and behaving hair!

Okay...that's a bit harsh. There are good reasons why we as a society switched over to shampoos and cleanliness has been greatly improved in the past 100 years or so, with reduction in diseases being the result. But we've also created massive ecological problems in the process....it's a vicious world isn't it?

So that being said, I am falling in love with liquid castille soaps, a part of my quest for more natural cleansers. I discovered when making laundry soap that you could buy my favorite Dr. Bonner's bar soaps in liquid form...in HUGE bottles if you so wish. Of course I didn't want to start out with a huge bottle so I bought the small size and I've been experimenting.

1. It makes a great hand cleaner! I put some in a used out "foaming" hand soap dispenser. I put in about 2 tbsps of soap and then filled the rest of it up with water. What you get is this fantastic foam to wash with that is sharply scented with peppermint (Since that's the scent I picked) that doesn't leave your hands dry AND that cleans paint brushes nicely....(Hey, you have to wash your brushes out SOMEWHERE...)

2. It can be used all over the house to clean. Mix it with some baking soda to make a paste that is great for cleaning the kitchen sink, bath tub or toilet (non-abrasive too!), Mix it with hot water to make a great wash for the counters, floors, sinks and mirrors. Use some to make some liquid laundry soap...I haven't tried this yet but I'm sure you can!

3. Wash your hair with it. Oh...I'm still mostly "No-poo" but curiosity and the longing for lather lead me to try this a while back. My hair came out nicely clean but not stripped of it's oils. Now I wash once per week week with lavender castille soap and "no-poo" the rest of the time. It's been fantastic!

4. Wash your body with it. A tiny bit on one of those loofah sponges goes a LONG way to creating lots of lathery goodness!

5. Wash your doggy with it. My dog...is ITCHY. I grabbed a bottle of lavender castille soap and added a tiny bit of tea tree oil to the mix and it seemed to help. (we're also making changes to her diet since she's itchy all over). The lavender and tea tree scents also will help to repel fleas and ticks and it left her coat nice and soft and shiny all over.

I am sure there are about a million other uses for it, but these are ones I've tried and tested myself and they all work very well! I bought my soap at wegmans but it is also available on amazon.com. Go ahead...get the BIG bottle. But a little of this stuff goes a long ways, no matter how you are using it!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I had a peppermint scented foaming soap from Bath and Body Works that we loved, but it's gone now. I think I need to buy some of this.

    ReplyDelete