Monday, July 16, 2012

Day one: Gimme a head with HAIR...long beautiful HAIR!

I did a post already about going no 'poo. I've made a few changes to my routine, so I will keep updating as I go along and experiment.

The vinegar rinse using distilled vinegar seems to be working fairly well. I've upped the amount from 1 tbsp to about 1/4 of a cup in 1 cup of water and I LEAVE IT IN instead of rinsing it away. This has cut down on the greasiness dramatically. I've also added 1 tsp of raw honey to this. Put it in the cup, add warm water and then the vinegar and let the honey dissolve and the water cool while you're doing the rest of your shower routine. The honey is a natural humectant and it's helped cut down a bit of itchiness I've found in my scalp. My hair isn't sticky at all and it's shiny, clean scented (if you can tolerate the vinegar, it really doesn't bother me) and CLEAN! I can go two days between washes now with out much trouble. A little greasiness at the end of the second day perhaps, but nothing I'd be ashamed to wear out of the house.

Alternatives? Use lemon juice instead of vinegar. This is also supposed to be helpful for oily hair! Also you can brew a "tea" with dried rosemary sprigs and/or chamomile tea use this as the water/base for your vinegar rinse. Rosemary helps hair to grow and chamomile adds highlights.

Also, I order a BUNCH of sample sized shampoo bars from Chargin Valley Soaps. I've tried only one so far and I loved it! I think I'll wash once a week with this...and do the BS/Vinegar treatment for the other days. Or who knows, I may switch entirely to this?



1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome. Tell me how the shampoo bars work. I'm not quite ready for no-poo, I don't think. I dislike the smell of vinegar, sadly. The lemon might work, but my hair is more normal now.

    ReplyDelete