Thursday, July 12, 2012

SEVEN DAYS OF BEAUTY!! Has she gone mad?

Hey guys and dolls! I'm going to be doing a 7 day "beauty" course, here on my blog. Yes yes...beauty isn't something that comes naturally to me. I'd say my fashion style is..."Tomboy chique". Jeans, teeshirts...the occaisional skirt..you get the idea. I own exactly three pairs of shoes. Work shoes, sneakers, sandals of the athletic "outdoor" variety. My hairstyle? Straight down or up in a ponytail. I'm a NO NONSENE girl.
 So, why am *I* qualified to do a beauty course? Haha...because I know not a damned thing about it! All I know is that I need to wash my face, brush my teeth, get my hair clean and not stink when I leave the house, that's my basic approach to a daily beauty regimen.
So, that being said...I'd like to do all this naturally. I've been reading Crunchy Betty and have been inspired to put food on my face! then I got inspired to go beyond the face....I've also been not using shampoo, store bought tooth paste or  commercial deodorant for some time now and I'll share all of that with you in this experience!

So, here is a quick run down of what you'll need to follow along with me. None of it should be terribly expensive per use:

Baking Soda: Several boxes (2-3 or a BIG BAG of it like I found at Sam's club). I use Arm'N Hammer though a lot of people use Bob's Red Mill because it's A) naturally mined and B) Aluminum free. Well, as far as I can tell Arm'N Hammer is also aluminum free, but it is created, not mined. Decide which is best for your pocketbook/conscience. Mine says...go cheap.

Apple Cider Vinegar

Distilled White Vinegar: (this is an optional alternative to Apple Cider Vinegar if like you, you have extra greasy hair and want to use this instead for no-'poo)

JoJoba Oil: This will likely be the most expensive item on your list. I ordered it from here: Mountain Rose Herbs.

Coconut Oil: This is also pricey...relatively speaking when you compare it to oh...everyday cooking oil. But it's worth the price as it can be used later in OH SO MANY things! Go ahead and get a couple of jars if you can.

Raw Honey: it needs to be raw. This is also pricey depending on your location but a little bit goes a LONG WAY.

Arrowroot Powder: Bob's Red Mill has a good product of this. Usually it's found with the non-traditional/gluten free flours. If you can't find it, get cornstarch. But corn starch is suspect as far as being a GMO...so it's up to you!

Tea Tree essential oil: I found it at one of our local grocery stores for relatively cheap. You can also order from Mountain Rose Herbs if you'd like. Also: Lavender Essential oil and Peppermint or Spearmint essential oil

Hydrogen peroxide: Super cheap, look in the pharmacy section, it's usually under a dollar.

Sea Salt and/or epsom salts

Cotton balls/swabs, basic towels and wash cloths, nail care kit, a bin for soaking feet.....

Extras and fun stuff:

Any other skin friendly essential oil you like/like the smell of. I don't know which ones are skin friendly, you'll have to look for yourself but do be careful, some can really hurt you if you're not sure what you're doing! Essential oils are strong stuff!
Glycerine (Vegetable)
Chammomile tea
Dried Rosemary
Lemons
French Green Clay (Found at Mt. Rose Herbs)
 Xylitol (it's found with alternative sweetners but I had to find ours in a specialty store)
Any other oils that you'd use for a massage instead of jojoba (apricot, almond...)

What will we be making with this stuff?
Deodorant, face wash, skin toner, moisturizer, shampoo, tooth powder/paste, mouth wash, body scrub, foot scrub and soak and lastly we'll be looking at the delicate issue of...ahem...skin folds! Oh yes, I am going THERE!

Join along in the fun! Leave comments below if you plan on joining in, I'd love to know whose in this adventure with me! The fun will start July 16th!

No comments:

Post a Comment