Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pteradactyl stir fry

"Cavemen didn't eat chicken..." my son pipes in, as I sit down to the table with a steaming hot pan of stir fry, ready for the nights meal. See, I've been attempting to follow Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint along with the The Paleo Diet. My kids (my son and my youngest sister) have lovingly dubbed this "The caveman diet" and feel it is their civic duty to let me know what cavemen really DID and didn't eat. So my reply to this latest statement?

"No honey, they didn't, but this isn't chicken. It's pterodactyl. Now eat up!"

Pterodactyl Stir Fry:
Serves three ungrateful children who highly resent being forced to eat greens.

1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks (Unless you are lucky enough to actually have a fresh pterodactyl on hand!)
1 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
1 cup snow peas, ends trimmed
1 large zucchini cut in half, then half rounds
2 cups swiss chard, picked from your over abundant garden or...purchased. Chopped into 1 inch pieces, stalk and all.
1-2 cup cabbage or about 1/2 a small head.
2 green onions chopped
2 garlic scapes cut into small pieces
Ginger, grated to taste (about 1 tbsp is what we use)
Red pepper flakes to taste
2 coconut aminos or soy sauce (Soy sauce is NOT PALEO but as I live in a super rural area..I haven't gotten any coconut aminos yet. They supposedly work as a replacement for the soy sauce)
2 cloves of garlic finely minced
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the chicken in the oils until cooked through and browned. Remove from the pan. Add in all the vegetables and remaining ingredients and fry on hot until the zucchini and cabbage soften up. Add the chicken back in and add more soy sauce/aminos to taste. Serve it up. You could serve it over rice if you're not eating paleo. We eat it as is.

The kids gobbled this up, even though they aren't "fond" of greens. To their credit, I HAVE been forcing them to eat an unusual amount of swiss chard lately, since our garden is spitting it out in abundance. They seem to like it best this way though, highly seasoned and stir fried into bliss. Anything that gets them eating is good for me!

On a side note: This recipe will work with ANY veggies you enjoy and have on hand. Kale? Onions? Broccoli? Cauliflower? Carrots? YUM! they all work, just cook them until they are softened then add back in the chicken! You could add a bit of chicken broth to help with the softening process. This is what I had and I happened to love the mixture, as it was.  We got most of the ingredients from our CSA food box from Village Acres Farms. I love how impromptu and FAST this recipe is! We started with mostly frozen chicken and had dinner on the table in under 20 minutes.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment