Sunday, August 26, 2012

A few of my favorite things: Music

I'm into folk music. I love a guitar and a string of lyrics that tells a story with poetry. I tend to avoid mass produced music like pop and popular country but it does occaisionally sneak into the mix.It's really hard to pinpoint exactly what makes you love an artist, sometimes. Sometimes you develop an obsession with a voice, with alyrical style or message that an artist develops. Sometimes it's just simply an undefinable..SOMETHING.

I thought I'd share a few of my favorite artists:

Joe Purdy: I found him a few years ago and continue to obsess over his catalogue. He's one of those lyricists that haunt you with lines of poetry mixed with a hard message. His voice is amazing, tender and gravelly all at once. Some of his albums it's just him and his guitar, some it's a full band. He borders on old school at times then pushes into folk rock. I am always delighted and surprised by his offerings. Check out his website, they have the option to listen to most of his catalogue online. The complete songs even.

Damian Rice: I admit, I liked Damien a whole lot better when he was with back up vocalist, Lisa Hannigan. But still, he's one of my go to artists when I want something deep, a bit dark and definately folksy. His lyrics are sometimes hard and sometimes soft, always filled with layers of meanings so that each listener can gain what they wish from them.

Kate Tucker: I'm obsessed with her voice! Kate snuck into my Ipod through the back door after I purchased a song "you may also like...". I didn't listen to the song for some time and suddenly it came across on shuffle. I was blown away by how sweet and simple her voice is. Her lyrics are pure and honest, sometimes raw and sometimes guarded. I immediately went and downloaded her entire albums and love every selection.

Chris Pureka: Raw lyrics about life and love and heartbreak mixed with some amazing guitar playing and vocals. That's what Chris is. She's simple and outstanding.

Chris Knight: I imagine Chris Knight as country the way Country SHOULD be. Hardcore, raw and completely honest. Not the sugar coated "honey bee" pop stuff that comes out today. Not the country/rock mix. But deep cutting words about the real hardships of life.

The Indigo Girls: They are a long time favorite and continue to be so! I love that they'll face some of the under appreciated controversial topics of our day and do it with style. Their harmonies are amazing, as so is their collaborations with other artists. Always always will be a favorite on my list!

Ani Difranco: She's grown up, but then so have I. I grew up with her in the 1990s, with her raw feminist ideals and wild hair. Now she's a mother, a wife and continues to crank out the controversy. Well so do I...so Rock on, Ani! Always a favorite.

Ben Harper: He's close to perfection in a lot of ways. I am so in love with his lyrics, of the way he can turn a phrase and a chord at the same time.

Rufus Wainwright: His voice is incredible and so are his words. I have been a fan of his for a few years now and I just continue to love his work. Twangy at times and soulful at others, he's got a little something for everybody in the folk/rock world.

Tracy Chapman: No folk/rock list is every complete without Tracy. She's been a driving force in the genre for years now. She's a powerful lyricist and story teller and an amazing woman.


These are just a few but I do hope you'll look into them. Music is so much a part of our soul and helps to shape our lives and identity. It should be genuine and real!

No comments:

Post a Comment