Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Deus ex Machina

I've always wanted to be a writer. When I was ten years old my parents got me software for the computer just for writing and creative writing. I'll never forget that, it was quite the thing back then (1990) to get software for a gift. When I was 18, I went into college with the hopes of fulfilling my writing dream, going in under a "Liberal Arts" major. But life happened. Suddenly I had a baby and we moved away from Cincinnati to Columbus. I needed to rethink my plan and going into Nursing seemed like the way to go. The school I looked into, Hocking College out of Nelsonville Ohio (Shout out to my alma mater) had a program where I could get my ADN (associates degree in nursing) in just two years. And if I wanted I could stop after just one year with my LPN liscence. That meant I could be working and supporting myself and my kiddo in fairly rapid time. It was never ever my first career choice, but it's certainly been a surprising and at times extremely rewarding one.

Recently I made the decision to go back to school. I'm enrolled in an RN to MSN program, which will bridge the gap from associates degree to Masters degree and allow me to be more...marketable. (At least I hope so).

But does this mean I've given up hopes of becoming a writer? Well, it's hard to do it all, isn't it? I dabble around with being an artist. I journal. I'm trying to be a good mother, student and blogger....but my heart has always been in creative/fiction writing. Can I pursue it amongst all this as well? I'd like to keep trying to. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be the next Charlaine Harris or J.K. Rowling?

2 comments:

  1. Who is Charlaine Harris? I want to be Nora Roberts! 190 novels under her belt in 20 years...yeah, baby! Multigoddesszillionaire. All done on the back of some girl on some bed (or floor, she prefers floors and showers) in a romantic novel...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just because you are a nurse, and a damn good one at that, doesn't mean you can't be a writer too. Write because you love it. Write because you have a story to tell. Ray Bradbury wrote farenheight 451 in the basement of a library between classes and his part time job. You dot need a pointless degree from some institution that just wants your money to be an author. Never give up, if you get turned down by a publishing company then great! That puts you in league with authors like Stephen King, and Dean Koontz, both of them have been rejected. Keep trying, even if you never get published, at least you will truly enjoy the time spent giving life to your stories.

    ReplyDelete