Friday, August 24, 2012

The "High Energy" dog

Okay, so the new puppy may not be exactly "high energy" by most peoples standards, but she's certainly a lot more high energy that we're used to, being the owners of small snuggley dogs like daschunds. So now that she's come to live with us, we've found that we need to walk her...sometimes more than twice a day. Now, this is NOT at all in my routine. (GASP! I know right..you'd think I'd be all over exercising! As tall and thin as I am...) Well, it's true. I hate to exercise. So maybe getting this dog was the best thing for me?

It forces me to get out with her and walk. She's a puppy now so we can go at a slow pace, which is good. It allows for my over 250+ body to get used to the motion. I've been giving her two walks a day, just around the block. But as she grows I know we'll need to increase this somewhat. Which will be good for me as well. And for the kids since I've forced them into this new routine with me...ahem. It's also good for our overweight daschund/beagle mix who has been joining us on one out of the two walks. (This gives me some one on one time with the puppy to work on our walking manners...which disappear entirely when the other dog joins in.)

Would you consider adopting a "high energy dog" as part of adopting a healthy lifestyle? I don't think it's a bad idea at all. It does keep you accountable to your routine, since the dog needs the exercise in order not to be a destructive hurricane of terror....er... I mean..."bored" dog. What do you do to exercise your dogs?

4 comments:

  1. She does love her walks! It really helps with her behavior. When she returns she has a big nap! I personally love the walks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When our dogs were younger, they were pretty high energy. We (meaning Jack most of the time) would take her on several walks a day. It helps, too, that our property is big enough and rural enough for the dogs to run free.

    It is good that you are walking the puppy 2-3X a day. According to the Dog Whisperer, most dogs do not get enough exercise. It makes such a difference in their behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter how high energy you think she is, just think of Petey or Scooby, and she will instantly turn into a sweet mellow lovable dog. On another note, you could try an ultrasound, shock/vibrate collar with remote to train her to stay close to you, or come back to your side quickly, without a leash, this way you could go out in the back yard to let her run and play without her going to far away from you, or running off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should talk to Holly about a high energy dog! I'm glad that all of you are getting the exercise.

    ReplyDelete