Friday, August 31, 2012

Snacking on the primal diet and pickled beet eggs

I recently posted some snack options that I use for my son. But they're not good choices for me since right now I'm trying to keep myself off gluten and most dairy.

(I would be doing this with my son too, but we live with so many people, some of whom are grandpa types who aren't on board with trying it so I'm opting not to rather than cause family strife. He's doing more or less good as it is! I'm happy to be getting more protien into him as that seems to help a lot! Family living is all about give and take.)

But for myself, I'm trying to keep off the grains and dairy. So what can I snack on myself? Well, I love the fact that I can have a bit of fruit on this eating plan. I can't go overboard because I have a definate craving response to carbs, but I do let myself have a piece of fruit or so a day. Mostly lately, it's been in the form of smoothies as a meal.  But a piece of fruit for a snack is always good! Especially when I combine it with some nut butter (cashew or almond).

Cheese was my go-to option when I was on atkins. I LOVE cheese. Here on this, I've decided to cut it out to a RARE treat. (There is some raw milk cheese that our CSA sells that is phenomenal!) By rare though I mean..maybe once a week I sneak a bit off the end of the block and let the family eat up the rest.

We're swamped with veggies from our CSA and farmers market right now so that's also a good way to go. Raw zucchini, green peppers, cauliflower or broccoli sprinkled with a little salt...and just crunch away! Add some protein in the form of a boiled egg and you're good to go!

Speaking of boiled eggs, pickled eggs! Now, this is a new phenomenon to me, since I didn't grow up here in Amish country but came as an adult, but they make some amazing "Beet eggs" or eggs pickled in beet juice around here. Of course, the recipe needs some tweaking to be made primal" (mostly to get rid of the sugar!) but boy do I love having these in the fridge as a go-to snack!

Beet Pickled Eggs

Primal Beet Pickled Eggs:

1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey or sugar substitute (Splenda- it's not primal or paleo with this though but it makes it so my diabetic dad can enjoy)
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
juice from large can (15 oz) red beets

12 hard boiled eggs
Beets left over from the can

Boil first seven ingrediants for 10 minutes (full boil). Pour over the 12 hard boiled eggs and red beets.Place in container with tight lid. Refrigerate. Lightly shake jar every few minutes to evenly coat all the eggs.

These are best if they are left sit in the fridge for 1-2 days so the eggs can really absorb the mixture. They don't last long in our house but they do keep for a while in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment