Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Cozi or Google Calendar?

We have a large family all trying to function and live under one roof. Recently it became very clear that we needed a better way to organize our family schedule (we missed a vital appointment...or two). So I started looking into the world of Apps for help electronically.

We are not technologically advanced here at the Crunch Away house, but we aren't in the dark ages either. In this house are four kindle fires, two ipads, three lap top computers and two desk tops. And two smart phones. (Neither of which are mine, I use the extremely basic but FREE cell phone my work provides me). So with all this technology at our finger tips, it should be easy to find a calendar we can all share and use, right?

Well, it actually hasn't been that easy. The first one I chose was Cozi Family Calendar.
What I liked about it:
There's a family log in and then you can all log in using your own email. This allows for appointments for yourself to be sent only to your email if you want, nice for the adults in the house who don't want to bombard everybody else with their stuff.
It's free!
It includes a family shopping list, to do list and journal, handy for keeping notes on the day to day events.
What is hard about it:
My mom has trouble with her eyes and the App only has one view, a scroll of days. It made it impossible for her to see and follow in her smart phone.
You only get one reminder for your appointments unless you pay for an upgrade. Not something we wanted to do at this time.

So I switched us to google calendar:
So far, it works for all three adults (I can only use it n the computer)
You can see your calendar in weekly, monthly or daily format which is very nice
You can color code each persons events
You can link multiple calendars fairly easily by "sharing" your calendar with them.

What I don't like:
I can't use it on my Kindle Fire since there's not an App for google on the fire (and from what I read, not likely to ever  be one since the Fire is a "forked" android.)
The kids can't see it because they only use their fires for Internet access. (We have pretty strict Internet rules around here...and the fire keeps them off chatting since it's not easy to chat on it).

So, what kind of calendar do you use to keep yourselves organized? Any tips or suggestions for our family?

2 comments:

  1. We all use iCal. I have no idea if there's an app for the Fire, but you could see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get an android calendar called Calengoo that will sinc to the google calendar. It is available for the Fire and costs $4.99. It has a lot of nice calendar features.

    ReplyDelete