Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A CRUNCHY review: Going Against the Grain by Melissa Smith

It's no secret, I've been a cavewoman for a while now (Not well, mind you...but I've been trying!) I've been following a paleo/primal plan and trying to cut out certain food groups from my diet. One of those food groups is grains and for a while I wasn't sure I understood exactly WHY the paleo community frowned on them so completely (even in their whole sprouted form).

Then I found this book, Going Against The Grain by Melissa Smith. Boy, was this a great find. Melissa, a registered dietician, goes into great but UNDERSTANDABLE details about grains, their effects on our body, blood sugar, joins, immune system and so on, and gives fantastic alternataives to use instead. I loved how easy she made it all to understand, because even though I'm a nurse and consider myself a fairly smart person...even I struggle with nutrition and all the confusion surrounding it. (Low carb? Low fat? Low bacon?) If, like me, you are looking to go for a more "primal" diet, definately check this book out! No, it's not paleo specific but the information in there is important!

No comments:

Post a Comment