Thursday, September 6, 2012

Coconut oil for Fido?

So, as you know we recently adopted a puppy. She's a happy girl, wriggly and floppy and nearly four months old now! She's also itchy. VERY VERY itchy. Poor girl has to stop and itch while we're walking, while she's playing, while she's eating, in the night when she's sleeping...it's got to me miserable!

I looked around at some options for itchy skin and was surprised by what I found. Did you know coconut oil is good for dogs?  That it can help cure and heal itchy skin? I didn't! It was studied at Toronto University: http://naturalhealthychoices.weebly.com/coconut-oil-for-dogs.html

Of course, since I had a good bit on hand (thanks to Elaine for sharing an order with us!) I started adding some to their food. So far..it's just been a few days but I'm optimistic! I will try to remember to keep you posted! I added it to both dogs foods since both dogs suffer from allergies and itching. (Our Daschunt mix, Dottie gets red skin all over and watery red eyes).

1 comment:

  1. I'm just now catching up on your blog, and I like these two dog posts. I'm going to have to try the coconut oil for our dogs.

    I'm also interested in the dog food that you bought. With small dogs, it's not so bad to pay a little more for better quality food and treats.

    ReplyDelete