Saturday, September 8, 2012

Stressed out!

So, I started back to school. That's right, momma's getting herself edumacated! I'm in a bridge program, RN to MSN, which means I'm on a fast track to my masters in nursing using an online college. Classes started on Aug. 27th and I'm already feeling the STRESS of another bit commitment in my already pretty committed life! I'm happy that I'm not alone in this. Most of us these days are chronically stressed right? We work to much, we sign up for to many bake sales, we put our kids in a gazillion and two classes we then have to drive them to, we spend to much....it all takes a toll on our system!

So how do you counteract the effects of stress on your body? Take some advice from a friendly nurse...take it seriously! Stress can cause a lot of damage in ways you may not be aware of, including to your heart, your liver, your immune system, your circulation, your sleep, your sex drive...(Oh, that got your attention, right?)

This site here has some great tips for not only dealing with stress at it happens, but also avoiding it in the future: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_management_relief_coping.htm

My plan for myself?
Work on organization. I'm chronically disorganized in a lot of ways. Hopefully, working on this slowly (being kind to myself) and methocially will help to reduce the general overall stress that comes from always being ten steps behind.

Keeping a journal: This is a practice I'm already working on pretty reguarly with "art journaling" and from taking courses like Soul Garden with Suzi Blu and Lifebook with Tamara Laporte. I need to focus on written journaling, especially as I move into this phase of my education, as well as the artistic portion. Art and writing are both nourishing to your soul and should not be neglected in your "self care"!

Taking long walks: Remember that hyper puppy I have? Well I need the walks as much as she does. Right now we're going 1-2 times a day around our block. I know we'll have to increase the amount as she gets bigger and I'm getting mentally (and physcially) ready for that. Walking helps with a lot of tension. It's not an outlet I'd turned to in the past, but I'm finding it to be really helpful now, for the most part anyway. It doesn't hurt to be walking along with the worlds cutest puppy....

Taking time to NOT DO SCHOOL: Time to read, to make art, to take a bath. (I so love baths...) I need to remember to do these things for my own sanity and the safety of those who live with me.

So that's my stress plan, what's yours?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know... I'm working on my stress plan. I tend to want to go to sleep when it gets too much. I listen to music, want to and used to drive around in the car like mad, but can't anymore. Hm...good question. Read. I think that's the one thing that can change my state of being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! Stress kills! And you listed lots of great ideas for self care.. really glad to hear you and your puppy are destressing together on your walks & congrats on going back to school! I've been doing really well on meeting my health & fitness goals. Stopped unhealthy snacking 100% ~ TWO MONTHS AGO ~ and continue to increase my morning walk frequency :)
    - vicki xo

    ReplyDelete