Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A (not so crunchy) book review: The Wool Omnibus

I am deeply and completely in LOVE with my Kindle from Amazon. I know other people are just as passionate about their e-readers, regardless of what the brand. I recieved a kindle as a gift and I've been hooked ever since. One of the most fascinating things to me though, is that with the rise in popularity of the E-reader comes a new era of self publishing. Browse through a "Free kindle book" search on amazon.com and you will be riddled with short stories, addtions to series and other offerings from authors who are trying to build up their self published presence. It's a wonderful thing...most of the time. I have found that many of these offerings lack basic editing and are at times...abysmally written. But still, I will click download time and time again if I come across something that even remotely catches my eye.

Sadly, I'll do the same for books in the 99 cent to $5 range as well. This has lead to the purchase of some pretty bad pieces of writing.

But every once in a while you come across an incredible gem. That was the case when I purchased "Wool" by Hugh Howey. Wool was written as a stand alone short story, but reader demand prompted Hugh to turn the first offering into 5 more installments, which are now available as a complete package. And trust me, it's worth every red cent! I devoured all five stories in a few days time and am starting the next bit of the series. I've even purchased a few other titles by the author and am looking forward to those as Hugh has shown and amazing depth of skill with the wool series. The stories are science fiction, but it's "subtle". Each one is filled with beautiful agony and characterization and an edge of your seat rhythm of handing out just enough information to keep you engagued and enthralled. There's VERY good reason that the first story sat at the number one slot for science fiction downloads on Amazon. Spend the money on the Omnibus edition, you'll have a novels length of incredible ready to go!

1 comment:

  1. Spot on, Jennifer! Enjoy all of his other books! Welcome to the wonderful world that is Hugh Howey! Send him a friend request on FB and chat with us!

    ReplyDelete