Monday, September 10, 2012

Yoga for the obese:Does it exist?

I love Yoga. Okay...I love the IDEA of yoga. But you see, I'm a short, round, unflexible and unbalanced woman who weighs...well ahem. (You didn't really think I'd share that did you?!) So what's a gal to do to get some yoga around here?

I purchased several 'at home' options and so far I'm liking them. I like the idea of doing it at home for several reasons:
1. Self conscious
2. not having to leave the house in unflattering work out clothes
3. Eh...did I mention being self conscious?

Here is what I got:

Yoga for inflexible people: This one is cool because it comes with THREE DVD's, all meant for people who are...well..inflexible. My favorite so far is "Gentle yoga for every body" which is just what it says..gentle! Gentle is important to me because as much as I want to do it, I don't want to suffer for my ambitions. I just want to loosen up some!

Yoga for Beginners: Another one that is basic. I'm finding some aspects of this one to be more challenging than the other DVDs. Maybe it's because I am SOO out of shape and this one assumes you have some level of fitness. Still, not a bad option!

Yoga for Back Care: I got this for my mom who has bad scoliosis, but I've used it a couple of times because well, as it turns out I have scoliosis too and I need to look after that, right? It's gentle. The teacher is careful and explains everything fairly well also.

Now, even though I'm doing this at home, I did invest in a couple of supplies: A mat, a yoga belt and a set of foam blocks. I also keep with me a small pillow for my head/neck since laying down tends to hurt my neck or low back a lot without them. If you are "plus sized" like me...I suggest you really look for a yoga belt that is longer than normal. The belt helps a lot with some of the exercises for improving flexibility but if you can't get your hands to reach each end, what's the point? Longer is better to start with...again, if you are "plus sized".

Maybe some day I'll get up the courage to take one of the classes taught here locally but until then...Namaste from my house!

Now, if anybody has any tips on how to do yoga without the puppy climbing all over you, chewing on your mat, ears, hair, blocks and socks...I'd appreciate them!

No comments:

Post a Comment